Reading List

by - September 06, 2009

My uncle Thomas just posted a reading list on his blog. I figured that since this is "The Book Alcove" I'd update on some the books I've read that have been my favorite.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer- For my friends who dislike Meyer because of her writing style, view on feminine characters, vampire novels, etc; I think that you would still enjoy reading this story. Yes, it is a romance/science fiction novel and I'm sure that we all know that nice, compassionate aliens won't take over our bodies anytime soon (or at all, for that matter), but there is a good lesson to be learned.

As humans we have been given the privilege of not only having a body but, in consequence, thinking for ourselves and having emotions. This book gives a perspective on how it might be to not have the privilege of being in control of our bodies and the miracle that love truly is in this world that can be so cruel. Sometimes we take the most basic gifts for granted.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis- Other than a great storyteller, C.S. Lewis also helps us to better understand ourselves and the overall play in which we have such a small, but impotent role in.

The Books of Bayern, Book of a Thousand Days, and Princess Academy by Shannon Hale- These books are all of the fairy tale genre, but they take you into there story and keep you there. Sometimes comfort books can help us more than we know.

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park- This book captures your interest and you sympathize with the characters in a very deep way.

Others:

The Thief
These is my Words
Little Women
Bud, not Buddy
Number the Stars, Gathering Blue, The Giver, etc.
Treasure Island
Harry Potter, etc. :) ((You knew I'd put that))
Inkheart and The Thief Lord
The Secret Journal of Brett Colton
The Work and the Glory #1-9 (My favorite is Volume 6: Praise to the Man)
East
Spindle's End
A Walk to Remember
The Lightning Thief

If there are any others you think I've read, comment. Also, if you want to read any of these that I didn't post authors for, just ask. 

You May Also Like

3 comments