God's Voice

by - October 28, 2016


This week I needed some direction. I needed to know what to do differently in my life to help me and my loved ones feel better and be closer to the spirit. I mean, I've been reading the scriptures and going to church, but I still felt like my heart was kind of hard and I wanted it to be softer.

I was reading in Alma 31:5, which says:

"And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just–yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God."

To me, this scripture is trying to teach the principle of growth and change. Alma believed that the word of God had a more powerful influence on people than just about anything else.

President Packer echoed this doctrine when he said:

“The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior. ...That is why we stress so forcefully the study of the doctrines of the gospel” (“Little Children,” Ensign, Nov. 1986, 17).

I realized that I needed to be searching for God's word and his voice. I have been reading my scriptures, but I need to seek God's voice in them. I need to try and hear his voice while I'm praying. I need to try to hear his voice when I'm making decisions.

For me, this week, I needed to learn how to listen better to my Heavenly Father, because his word and doctrine will be able to change my behavior and my heart faster than anything else.

Listening to Him can help you too. Just try it :) I promise it will work.

You May Also Like

0 comments