Darkness & Light

by - September 27, 2016



One thing that I have learned in my life is that I think and speak in metaphors. I think that maybe it's because I have so many emotions and emotions are the most easily described by using symbols and stories. 
One of my favorite symbols to use when teaching others and myself is light. I think that light is the epitome of truth when we say that all things denote that there is a Christ.  
This week, I was reading in 2 Nephi 19:2, which says:
"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light; they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined."

I really thought about this verse and found that it is true. Because we live on Earth, we really do walk in darkness, and we really do dwell in the land of the shadow of death. God does not live on a world where there is death, that is a state of this Earth and this probationary period. This part of the verse is true.
However, we do not only walk in darkness, we also have the light of the Savior in our lives. He is our great light and he has shined down on us, as the scripture said.
This knowledge guided me this week. I know that God has asked us to live in a world with death and sin and sorrow and trials. But he has not left us alone. He has provided a Savior for us to be our light.
The best part about this symbol and metaphor is that we are surrounded by light every day. We can simply turn on the lamp in our bedroom or the light in the hallway or watch the sun rise in the morning to remember that God did not leave us alone here on Earth. He provided a Savior--just as he provided light--and there is a reason why the big ball of flaming light above us is called the Sun
May we look for the light this week and throughout our lives and simultaneously remember wherein lies our true light--the Son of God.

You May Also Like

0 comments